Monday, June 3, 2013

Life goes On!

I haven't done an update on Richard lately so today seems like a good time to do that. We are going through the days and happy for everyone of them that we have. Most of our days are what I would call 'good days'. Frustrating for me, but good days nevertheless.

He is eating good. Compared to the 10 days in early March where he didn't eat a thing, this is good! He doesn't eat as much as he used to. But at least he is putting food into his mouth. And I get so much joy out of him eating something that he used to love. He still has times where I fix something that he used to love and he doesn't like it anymore. We just laugh about those days now. What more can we do?

He has started wanting to go outside more. This makes me happy. I love being outdoors in the summertime. One of the kids will usually sit with him while the other one will help me. And then they switch off. Life at our house is much slower and relaxed than it used to be. I don't have as many flowers and I am not planting a garden. My brother planted 10 tomato plants so I know that he will share. Taking care of a garden would just be too much to add to my list at this time. Maybe next year. And we didn't put up the pool either. That really was an energy drainer last summer, trying to take care of it. If it ever warms up (only 60* here today) then I will take the kids to the city pool occasionally.

Richard is much weaker. We do almost all of the work with transferring him. Thank God for the gait belt. I hated those things when I was a 'working' nurse. But his stays on him all the time. He doesn't even shuffle his feet anymore. They are just glued to the floor.

The biggest battle we are having right now is the incontinence.  It is a struggle to keep him dry. He just doesn't make it most of the time when we go through the transfer to the commode. In the beginning he was really bothered by 'peeing his pants' but we have convinced him that there isn't a DAMN thing he can do about it. And then we just deal with it. I swear though there are times I can't help but think, "how can anyone person make this much urine" The up side of this is that he is taking in plenty of fluids to keep him hydrated. (And for those who are thinking, "How can she put this out there for the world to read? He doesn't mind. He knows I am writing about all of it. The Good! The Bad! And The Ugly!.

He is sleeping good at night. And not sleeping as much in the daytime. The Hospice Nurse only comes once a week and brings us supplies and checks him out. The only medications he is on now is his daily sleeping pill and an occasional Ativan, for anxiety. All other meds have been stopped.  The Hospice nurse says that is why he seems so much better. The chemicals are all gone from his body. But that day will come when his heart rate, that is no longer controlled with the Amiodorone, might go out of whack. And his blood pressure is currently okay without his Cozar, but will that last? And I have no idea what his potassium level is. But he was low even on oral potassium. But we have made this choice and I am not going to second guess it. So I won't begin to wonder about what is going on without all the pills. He used to take 9 pills every morning. The Parkinson's meds weren't working anymore anyway. So we don't miss those! And he doesn't fight with the daily nausea anymore. That is a GOOD thing.

So as I said, Life Goes On. Things are good right now! I have much to be happy about.

12 comments:

  1. That's it....I want to be where you are. Did I hear you say 60 degrees?! HEAVEN!

    I'm so glad that things have leveled out a bit and that Richard isn't feeling that daily nausea. That's always a horrible feeling and reminds me of pregnancy. Listening to you describe your days reminds me of when I was spending time with my grandfather {during his last months}. I was able to go home after a day or so, and rest. You must be exhausted. Hoping you find a little time to relax as well. Thanks for sharing an update on Richard. I feel like you guys are old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is was cool this morning. It is now 80* It is exhausting at times but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other

      Delete
  2. Being able to enjoy favorite foods are one of life's simplest pleasures that it's good for you both to be able to share that together. It sounds like you both are taking this one day at a time...and enjoying some good laughs along the way. That is the best that any of us can do. Cheers to you both!

    ~Nicole
    www.madlabpost.com

    P.S.

    I gave you the "Sisterhood" award today. You can pick it up at my blog post titled 'Monday Movie Meme: The Sisterhood of Award Recipients.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. I will jump over and check it out

      Delete
  3. Yeah the incontinence is a hard thing to manage. Glad you are taking things one day at a time - enjoying the good things - minimizing the bad things. All these moments are precious now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy you get to spend some time outside. I know you love your sunshine. It's really good that he is sleeping at night. Hopefully that means you are getting more sleep at night. Thanks for the update. He has been on my mind lately. I kinda took it as no news is good news (being he didn't take a down turn).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my philosophy....No news is good news!

      Delete
  5. You're amazing. I hope to be like you really. Richard is one of the lucky guys. He got an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TMI but after three kids.. heck, sometimes I battle that too! HAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me laugh tonight! I needed it

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!