Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It is My Lot in Life

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it


What does 'it is my lot in life' mean?

It's a Biblical reference. Not to push religious belief, but the saying comes from the story in Genesis where Abraham and Lot part ways and Lot, not believing in Abraham's knowledge of God, seeks his own future and is tortured for it. Parts ways with what God has commanded multiple times and throughout his life seeks the wrong path. Therefore, in his life he finds trouble throughout. Many in this day in age who find trouble (perceived or otherwise) in life, claim it is their "Lot" in life that they must endure.

I don't know whether I believe this or not. I think most of us make our own 'lot' in life. There are things that happen to us that may not have a meaning to us. But if you call that your 'lot' in life, then I guess that is okay. 


In my life, I believe that I am meant to be a caretaker. I found my way to a nursing career after I first tried other things that I thought I wanted to do. Like be an executive secretary. NOT for me. I enrolled in nursing school and I discovered my first 'lot in life.' I like taking care of people. I like helping them through their illnesses and whatever problems that might be causing in their lives. I like listening and offering advice to these people.
It is my 'lot in life.'

Then one cold wintry day just before Christmas five years ago I opened the door to find two little children standing on my doorstep. A boy dressed in a worn shirt and sweatpants with holes in his shoes. And a little girl clinging tightly to his hand with only a robe on for a coat. Here were two of my beautiful grandchildren. They had been living a tough life with their 'drug addicted' parents. Parents that we didn't have a lot of contact with due to the many times trying to help and only having that help turn into another manipulation of our emotions and financial resources. We had simply lost contact with them. Our oldest granddaughter brought them to us. She said they were not being taken care of and she didn't know what to do anymore. So my husband and I opened up our empty-nest and welcomed them in. I didn't know what else to do.
This was my 'lot in life.'

This was the second time these same two had come to live with us. The first time, when they were only 4 and 2, they were removed from the home by the state and we took care of them for 8 months before the state returned them to their parents. It is heart-breaking to see something like this keep happening. I had to harden up my heart a bit. In order to survive. I was not going to do this again. So, my husband and I hired an attorney and obtained legal custody of these two. And we have never looked back.
It is our 'lot in life.'

How I am over-coming my so called 'lot in life' is to just take it one day at a time. That is the best that I can do. I get up each morning and do what I have to do. And I say a little prayer as I tuck them into their beds each night.
Thank you God for making this my 'lot in life'


The night they arrived in December 2008




20 comments:

  1. This was such an excellent post. Your lot in life is not so trying in that you will see at the end of it all what a blessing you have been given--to share in their upbringing. I will pray for their parents as I know that is painful for you as well. I pray you continue to be strong, healthy and rewarded with love for your generous giving nature.

    Blessings!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I need those prayers, for sure!

      Delete
  2. Thank You on behalf of your grandchildren, I have been the neglected child in your story seeking love, security, boundaries. A caretaker you are xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! They are awesome kids and they give me plenty of special 'thank yous' I am sorry for your neglect! It sucks

      Delete
  3. I love that you so eagerly embrace your role. Taking in little ones might not be something everyone could or would or would do, but you embrace family and that is so important.

    I couldn't help but think God provides us with people to love and people to love us back. That's the greatest truth...And seriously how could that be anything other than an utter and complete blessing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think that I eagerly embrace it. In fact in the very beginning I fought it kicking and screaming. But I wouldn't change a thing now. They are a blessing to us

      Delete
  4. When people are going through a bad patch and don't do anything to get out of it, or don't take ownership that it might be their fault and just call it their 'lot' that is frustrating.

    I love the fact that you took these two kids into your home. We had a similiar situation a few years ago, my Mother took in a 3 year old, the son of one of her friends who was an alcoholic. We had him for about 6 months, before he was moved onto proper foster care, I loved that little kid like he was my brother. He had to leave just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been really hard!

      Delete
  5. Paula, you have made a difference in sooooo many lives, do you know that?! From your patients, to your beautiful grandchildren, to your husband...so many lives touched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just am doing what I do! Nothing special!

      Delete
  6. Oh Paula....I knew you were a remarkable lady, but this post was a reminder of just how much so! I had tears pouring, reading about taking in your grandchildren and what you went through with the parents. Those "babies" are so blessed to have you {and I'm sure a huge blessing to you}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. But I am really not all that great of a person. I suffer through a lot. Writing helps me to relieve a lot of stress. I just do what I have to do!

      Delete
  7. You are a very special woman to take in these kids no questions asked and raise them as your own. My grandma did that with me (though mine was due to divorce not drugs). You are their safe place; their stability. You are an awesome person. You are right, just take it one day at a time (sometimes one minute at a time). Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how awesome I am. I am just doing what I think any grandma would do

      Delete
  8. I feel for your grandkids. It must have been tough. But they are so lucky they have grandparents like you and your husband to make sure they are never neglected again. You are a blessing to them as they are to you. God bless you and your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are just as blessed to have them

      Delete
  9. Wow Paula. I am blown away with the scope of what you are handling. Those wonderful looking children are so lucky to have you (and I secretly think you are so lucky to have them.)

    I have always said that God doesn't give us anything we cannot handle. Now I wonder if He just is testing the waters to see how much we can handle! Prays for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always said that too, but he is getting close to giving me too much!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!