Tuesday, April 23, 2013

U is for....US Virgin Islands


U.S. Virgin Islands

Trunk Bay on St. John
Trunk Bay on St. John (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
The U.S. Virgin Islands are a group of islands that lie in the Caribbean and mostly consist of St. Thomas, St John, and St. Croix. These islands are owned by the U.S. therefore the reason for the name. We visited St. Thomas and St. John in 1996. This was my first visit ever to the islands and when and where I fell in love with the beach. There was one glorious afternoon spent lying on a beach towel right here on Trunk Bay, where I left my heart. Not a more beautiful place in the whole world in my opinion. The sun was shining brightly above and a soft breeze blew off the ocean. I soaked in the smells of salt and sea and I quietly began the longest lasting love affair of my life. The sand was so warm and white. I scooped up a bit in an empty cigarette package to bring home with me. Thus began my collection of sand from the beaches that I have visited. The sound of the surf gently lapping at the shore is the backdrop to every romantic dream I find myself having. Have I mentioned how much I love the beach? I have made my friend promise me that when I die she will carry my ashes to Trunk Bay, on St. John Island, and leave me behind!

Enhanced by Zemanta




14 comments:

  1. Oh... so lovely. Everyone should have a place they love like that, where they can rest forever and find peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. We've been there a couple times. Actually, it's kinda sad: we live in Florida, surrounded by beaches, and I'm married to a non-beach person. I'm thinking there's something wrong with this picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just too sad to think of living in Florida and not getting to the beach more often! :)

      Delete
  3. wow you sure seemed to have done some travelling!! that looks a wonderful place to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did travel! And with our situation now I am glad that we did. Lots of good memories

      Delete
  4. I cannot believe you're at U already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It has gone by pretty fast. And so has the month of April!

      Delete
  5. I went to St. Thomas and St. John on my honeymoon. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds dreamy. Have never been, but the islands are definetely on my to-visit list.

    Thank you for the e-tour.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful group of islands to visit! I highly recommend St. John and Trunk Bay

      Delete
  7. We collect sand from beaches too. I am ready to add more to my collection. Haven't been to the Islands though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never met another sand collector. Isn't it fun. I love to see the subtle differences in the jar. The red sand from Australia really makes it special.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!