Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Sydney


Sydney, Australia

Ah here we are are to Sydney! We had talked about going to Sydney for as long as I can remember. It was to be the start of a wonderful, long planned, 32-day  vacation to celebrate the end of my husband's working years and the beginning of his retirement. He had worked for Eaton Corporation, (what used to be Cessna Fluid Power for 38 years).We took this long planned trip with friends, so we were able to share the experience. 

After an 18 hour flight we arrived at the airport in Sydney and was taken to our hotel in the downtown area. A very nice hotel I do say.  We were going to be in the Sydney area for 3 days before we boarded our ship to sail towards our final destination of Bangkok, Thailand.

We took some land excursions while on this 3 day stay that will forever be in my memory. We went into the Outback. We took a River excursion on a dry creek bed where the guide cooked a meal for us and taught us how to throw a boomerang. We also chased  kangaroos through a field  with the jeep.

 Fun times. A trip to Ayers Rock is something that one will never forget. It was while at Ayers Rock we met the Aborigines and the flies. 

Ayers Rock, also known as Uluru, is a big
sand formation sitting in the Northern Territory. Uluru is a sacred place to the Aborigines of the area. This huge sand formation is known for changing colors throughout the day. What we saw was mostly the red color in the latter part of the day. It almost glows as the sun sets.
We did not climb the rock but there were plenty of
visitors who were climbing. It is a big tourist attraction. Besides meeting some of the Aborigine people and seeing them preform their dances and play the didgeridoo, my other memory of Ayers Rock is the flies. About a billion buzzing, annoying, always in your face, Australian Black flies. And they were everywhere. We bought hats that had the mosquito nets to cover our faces and they still drove us out of our minds. It was hot. And humid. And they wanted to suck the moisture right off of you. I think this is without a doubt the first thing that pops into my mind. Those annoying, buzzing, biting flies.



While we were in Sydney in March of 2000, the city was preparing for the Summer Olympics. We toured the facility and other areas that would be hosting the games. It was very interesting to see this side of what goes on to prepare a city for such a big event.

Sailing out of the Sydney Harbor we passed under the Sydney Harbor Bridge and sailed by the magnificent Sydney Opera House.

*wikipedia* Harbour Bridge

English: A exposure blended photo of the Sydne...
English: A exposure blended photo of the Sydney Opera House, as viewed from the Sydney Harbour Bridge.l (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Enhanced by Zemanta

17 comments:

  1. Sydney looks beautiful - you sure have travelled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! I am glad now that we traveled as much as we did. They were all trips that my husband really wanted to take.

      Delete
  2. So nice that you got to fulfill a dream like that. I used to think I wanted to see Australia or New Zealand, but I really am a homebody and prefer to stay out of planes and ships and on my own home soil. Lovely places you saw... thanks for sharing them!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you! I wouldn't do all this traveling in this day and age. It is just to scary to leave our own country now

      Delete
  3. I really am jealous. I have always wanted to visit there. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful there, and you are so lucky to have been able to stay there for an entire month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time in Sydney. I wish someday to see Australia.

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. I have had fun with it

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yipee! Wish I could have come and visited you!

      Delete
    2. There is always a next time! So please do visit Sydney again!!!

      Delete
  7. Seems like you had a good and a memorable journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to go to Sydney. This post just makes me want to go that much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that we went. It was a BIG dream of my husband's.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!