Thursday, April 11, 2013

J is for Japan

Tokyo International Airport
Don't get too excited about this post just yet. Because I didn't REALLY visit Japan. But I was IN Japan. This is our stop. We flew from Bangkok, Thailand to Tokyo International Airport. We were allow to get off the airplane and go into the airport for a short (two hour) layover. That's it! That was my visit to Japan. But, hey, I have added Japan to the list of places I have been.
JAPAN

We went inside the airport and found the duty free shopping area. I bought some Saki cups to take home. I also bought some Clinique makeup because I was out and it WAS a good price. Once back on the plane, I got out my journal to document my visit to Japan. I had kept a journal of this entire 32 days vacation and documented each day with places we visited  funny anecdotes,  menus, excursions and thoughts. It was a small spiral notebook almost filled with writings, drawings, and other memorabilia. After completing this entry, I stuck my journal into the bag with the make-up and Saki cups and settled into my seat for an Ativan-induced sleep. (I don't know if I have told you of my fear of flying!). Never gave another thought to any of this until we were all the way back home in Kansas and I was unpacking and showing off my souvenirs to my family. Yep, you guessed it. I left that bag on the plane. We called the airline and reported it to their lost and found department. But, I knew in my heart it would never be returned. It wasn't the Saki cups or the makeup that made me sad. But that journal. If only I could get my journal back.

After a few weeks of being home I received a phone call from the airline stating they had found it. They described it to me and I was jumping with joy. They told me they would put it in the mail. I waited. And I waited. And waited some more. I called the airline. They said they would get back to me. They DIDN'T. So I called them again. And again. And again. Finally, they admitted that they had the journal but now couldn't find it. And I never heard from them again. Boo hoo! It has now been 13 years and I guess it is safe to say that my journal will NOT be returned.


20 comments:

  1. Thats really bad !
    but Kudos on writing that one! hope the one who has it has it safe !

    Keep smiling,
    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they trashed it by now. :)

      Delete
  2. i have those Sake cups too and always buy Clinique at Narita :P Its far more cheaper than what we get in India !
    Too bad about your journal !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how things are cheaper if they are duty free?

      Delete
  3. That's a horrible story! I would never ever get over the loss of something so precious, so personal. But that does teach you to be more careful, doesn't it? I lost a very very favourite wallet once and suffice to say, I don't think i ever will again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no - that's awful! :( Hope you have good memories though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe! How sad. I have several journals, it's like a part of you. I've not been to Japan but did love my time in Bangkok, taking the in-laws in a few weeks.

    Shirletta @ Shirleyisnotmyname

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bangkok! Wish I was going with you!

      Delete
  6. Oh, gosh, to have thought you found it and then to lose it again is worse than just losing it the first time. At least you still have your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what my thought was....lost and then found and then lost forever!

      Delete
  7. I would die if my journals got lost - would be absolutely devastated.
    I was imagining that you were going to say that they CAME BACK - so I feel for you.
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, never came back! Somewhere, though, someone had a good laugh at our antics on this trip

      Delete
  8. How awful, I had a bag stolen from my car over 20 years ago *lesson learnt* I got the whole bag returned, including some cash in the wallet and the only thing missing was my journal... every so often I still think about it - like just now. I gave up hope of getting it back a long time ago too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it make you wonder why someone would want to keep it?

      Delete
  9. Ouch!!! That's rough, but at least nothing can take away the memories of your trip, journal or no journal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, so sorry about your journal. Such a huge loss. I hope that you were still able to jot down some things in a different journal about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am still writing about this trip :)

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!