Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Grenada



Grenada
Hillsborough within Carriacou, Grenada
Hillsborough within Carriacou, Grenada (Photo credit: Wikipedia)





Grenada is an island in the southwestern Caribbean Sea. We visited the island of Grenada on the same cruise that we sailed through the Panama Canal.  This island is known as the "Spice Island" because of  nutmeg and mace crops. The whole island smells like nutmeg. This island also produces cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I think it would be awesome to live somewhere that always smelled so wonderful.

Myristica fragrans Nutmeg. The picture was tak...
Myristica fragrans Nutmeg. The picture was taken in Zanzibar. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


The memory I carried home from this little island involves a couple of things. First, we were tendered in from the ship to the island. The island did not have a large enough port that would allow a ship as big as ours to dock. So they used these ' little boats' as tenders and took us in to the island. That is kind of a scary thing the first time that you do it. But we arrived safely. Then we hired
 a tour bus (big enough for 6 of us)that took  us on a little tour of the island. We went up into a hilly area of the island and the bus pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. It was in a pretty deserted place. I was kind of nervous. The driver go out and went around to the back of the bus and came back with a tray of handmade items that his family was selling. He wanted to get to us first, before we made our final stop at the tourist trap that was in the local town.


English: Grand Anse Beach, St. George's, Grena...
English: Grand Anse Beach, St. George's, Grenada, West Indies (Caribbean) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
We took a side trip while on the island to the Grand Anse Beach. There were four of us in our little group that decided to explore the beach area behind the resort. My friend, Rozann and I, laid out our beach towels and plopped down to soak up some rays. Our husbands took a stroll further down the beach from us. While lying there basking in the sun a island man strolled up to us and stopped at our sides. He asked my friend for a cigarette. She told him that she did not make it a habit of sharing her smokes with others. He reached down, picked up her pack, shook one out and lit up. The remainder of her pack went into his pocket. As he sauntered away he said, "I know where you came from. Feelthy Americans from the cruise ship. You can buy some more."  Now let me tell you that gave both of us a pretty creepy feeling and we wasted no time joining our husbands down the beach. And we made our way back to our bus for the return trip to the ship.

I didn't leave Grenada with a good feeling! And I felt like a 'feelthy' American. I am sure that most people from Grenada were not like this man. But he sure didn't help with tourism, in my opinion.

We are moving right along in the A to Z April Blogging Challenge. I am off to see what G means to the others.





Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Its a pity you had such a bad experience at Grenada.

    Bhavya from the AtoZ Challenge blogging at Just Another Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! But we had lots of good experiences in other places.

      Delete
  2. Oh, gosh, I would feel terrible if that happened to me. But it makes me wonder what experiences this man has had with tourists that he dislikes them so much. After all, they are bringing income to his home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what we thought. But whatever....

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!