Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Farmington



Farmington, NEW MEXICO



My best friend, Nanne, was a travel nurse and she lived in several different states. My husband and I went to visit Nanne and Gary at most of the places they settled if they stayed for more than a few months. Farmington was the last place I visited Nanne. It was June, 2005 when we made our trek to Farmington. Farmington has a population of about 46,000 so it is about the same size as the town I live in. This town is nestled in the San Juan River Valley within view of Colorado's San Juan Mountains. 



There are a number of North American Indian tribes in the area and we visited more than a few of the historic trading posts. There are three Indian reservations in theis area: Navajo, Ute, and the Southern Ute. My friend worked at some of the Indian Reservation hospitals off and on during the times she was in New Mexico.
English: A photograph of Shiprock.
English: A photograph of Shiprock. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
During our time there we made some day trips to see things such as ShipRock, a large rock formation situated in the desert- like area near Farmington. We also found numerous Indian ruins on some of the back roads that we traveled. 



But what we mainly did while we were in Farmington was visit with our friends. We played cards and cooked on the patio. Nanne taught me how to make a roast on the grill. We drank beer and Gary strummed his guitar while we sang some old folk songs. She could make a mean pitcher of Margaritas so we downed a few of them. This was the last time I saw Nanne for she died the following January while visiting her father in Mississippi.

Here I am (in red) with my friends Nanne and Gary in New Mexico










Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Nanne made some great memories together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we did. And our time on earth was not nearly long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a chance to get to Farmington yet. One of the things I love about New Mexico is the rich Native American culture here. Here in ABQ, we are surrounded by 19 pueblos--Pueblo culture is pretty pervasive. I was lucky to be invited to dances at Isleta Pueblo by my boss, who is from there. It was a neat thing to witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been one of our best states to visit Lisa. The culture is what makes it so awesome. It would be so sad though without my friend Nanne! Maybe I could come see you instead!!

      Delete
  4. Wow--I need to hit the Southwest, what beautiful photos. There is a Farmington, Maine, I thought that's where you were writing about. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Mexico is an awesome place to visit!

      Delete
  5. I love Farmington, and the Shiprock formation brings back such good memories. I live only about three hours from the area that you've described. I'm so glad you were able to visit Nanne while she lived there! Isn't the Land of Enchantment lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm LOVING reading about your journeys, memories and general information about places. :) I missed the deadline for this meme and then didn't even know WHAT I'd blog about. :) So I'll journey with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks April. I will enjoy your company as I relive these trips

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!