Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Acapulco


ACAPULCO

The first cruise we ever took was in 1996. We cruised from  San Juan, Puerto Rico; through the Panama Canal, ending in Acapulco, Mexico. I remember being up on the deck when we docked in the Acapulco Bay. Beautiful? Not so much. Just another bustling docking port! But I was excited. For being in Acapulco and because we would be headed home. It had been a long, stressful, exciting trip. My first ever cruise and I had spent the first two days SEASICK!

Español: Clavadistas de La Quebrada in Acapulc...
Español: Clavadistas de La Quebrada in Acapulco, Guerrero, México. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
One of the shore excursions we planned while in Acapulco was to  see the famous cliff divers. We took a harrowing taxi ride to the Hotel El Mirador, where we had been told was the best place to watch the divers preform. If you go make sure you get there early because it is CROWDED. We paid a small fee to have a drink while we watched the dives.(this assured us a better viewing place). They dive several times throughout the afternoon and evening. The divers climb up the cliff and plunge into the waters in the inlet below; about 130 feet. They then climb back up the rocks to accept money, gifts and etc from the people who are standing on the viewing balconies. It was pretty amazing to see. And I can remember thinking, "Those guys are crazy!"

We also shopped some while we were in Acapulco. It is not one of the best places to buy Mexican crafts or silver. But they did have some interesting shops where you could buy souvenirs  including the always "good to take home" T-shirts. What I most wanted, but never found; a good old Mexican Taco. I looked and looked and looked. I found the fast food Taco. Like Taco Tico. But I wanted an authentic taco. And I left Mexico without one.

Is there one memory I have that screams Acapulco you ask? No, I don't really think about the cliff divers that much. And as you can see, it was not the authentic Mexican cuisine. And we didn't buy one single thing, so it wasn't the great shopping and the great deals. Although I do always wish I had bought some of that awesome Mexican vanilla I always hear about. No, the memory that will always stick with me when I hear the word ACAPULCO is these guys!


They were everywhere. The Mexican Army. Carrying those scary looking guns. Not a sight you see patrolling the streets of the good old USA. Thank God! Especially at the airport. They walked around looking at all of us. I thought they were menacing.  I was afraid to look at them. I was afraid they would stop in front of me. They made me feel like a criminal. I was very glad to finally get on that plane and head back home.












Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place to visit.

    Happy Blog Challenging....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only on my "It's okay" list actually. Happy Blog Challenge to you also.

      Delete
  2. Ah, the army... my husband is from Honduras and the first time I visited, I was concerned about the guys standing around holding guns. It's normal, my husband said. I thought it was strange, and still do. What a way to live.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely different that what we in the US are used to. I don't know that I would ever think of it as normal :)

      Delete
  3. It's going to be fun to follow your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will. And I will like taking you along!

      Delete
  4. Oh I am going to love your AtoZ. I would love to travel the world - haven't been across a border yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Follow along. It is all about my feelings about each place. Not a real travel blog per se.

      Delete
  5. I am a 'fraidy cat when it comes to cruises. I am glad you didn't spend the entire time seasick. That cliff diving sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be a 'fraidy cat now days after all the stories we hear about the trouble cruise ships have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been to Mexico since the 70's but I liked Cozumel best of all. You should try a river cruise one day - no sea sickness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor thing....you sound like my mom. First trip she took she ended up in the doctor's quarters for an entire night and had to have shots because she was seasick. The last cruise I took left out of New Orleans, which meant we spent hours riding down the MS, into the Gulf. I've got to say that the River made me much more seasick than the Gulf. Something about that constant swaying...plus it was stormy weather. Now I want to go cruising again. :-) Yes, even in the wake of all the cruise ship disasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I will cruise again! I never say never!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!