Sunday, January 13, 2013

Decluttering my life and my home in 2013


A good thing about a new year is you can turn over a new leaf and start all over again.
That is what I am going to TRY to do this year.
I want to become more organized and quit wasting so much time.
It is unbelievable how much time I waste.
How many hours there are in a day that I don't get anything accomplished.
And how this leaves me feeling like crap.
I am tired of feeling like I am suffocating under piles of things.
I am tired of feeling like I am so disorganized.
I am just tired of feeling TIRED.

Here is one of my biggest time wasters.
Can you believe that?
I love to read other people's blogs.
Up until this morning, my Google Reader held 215 blogs.
Most of them I just skipped through and didn't really read.
Some of them, I didn't even like reading.
So this morning, I trimmed that down to 65 blogs.
Good start on being organized, huh?
And a really good start on not wasting anymore time.

And another thing that I started the first of this year.....
(I have to admit that I started this last year too.)
Maybe I can complete it this year.
Sometimes life gets in the way of completing things, if you know what I mean.
But I have joined up with a challenge called
You don't have to start on January 1. You just have to start.
And every Monday she puts up a new challenge that we can work on that week.
And she will send you emails too so that you can keep up.
So far I have decluttered my kitchen counter-tops.
And they look nice not having so much stuff sitting on them.
The kitchen can be a hard place because we have so much kitchen stuff usually.


(this is not my kitchen, by the way)
So I hope to work my way through the whole house by following along with this challenge.

The other big clutter problem at my house is clothes.
Lots and Lots and Lots of clothes.
And never a thing to wear.

And with two teenage (well one is almost a teen and one already is)
and one husband ( who in the past was a fashion horse), we have too many clothes.
I already went through Paige and Harley's clothes.
But I need to do that again.
Cause we didn't get rid of nearly enough. Harley still has enough tee shirts
to wear one a year without repeating.
So big blacks bags of clothes will be finding their way out of our house.
We will donate to Heather.
We will send some to the consignment store.
And lots will makes it's was to Goodwill.

But worse than clothes is the piles and piles of paper.

I think you know what I mean.
I have to become brutal with this problem.
I will overcome it.
I know that I will.

Now while I am at it I think I will do some decluttering at another big time-waster for me.


Wow!
Do I ever need to quit wasting so much time here.
It is so easy to get lost in looking, lurking, commenting, and just plain wasting time.
Tonight I plan to delete people that I don't interact with.
People who I don't really care what they are doing.
And I am sure they don't care what I am up to either.
I need to cull out the 'likes' to things I really do like.
Sometimes I just liked things cause that is what I had to do to enter a contest.
And you know how many of those contests I won?
NONE.
Need to clean out the friends, the 'likes' the photos, and the statuses!


If I am not at home, I am in my car.
No, thank the good Lord, that is not a picture of my car.
But it is close.
So I need to clean it out. 
And organize it.
And KILL the next kid that leaves a half-eaten box of chicken McNuggets in the center console.

The last thing that I want to work on this year is pictures.
I have lots of photos just sitting in boxes. 
I would love to be a scrapbooker!
But I just don't have the time for that.

I would like to at least get them organized to look like this.
And then I have found the coolest and neatest blog
She sells one of the easiest ever scrapbooking/photo systems that I have 
ever seen.
And I want to do it.
But first I want to organize all these photos into boxes before I start buying some of those 
cool products.

So what do you think?
Have my work cut out for me?
This is the first step.
I have written it down.
Now on to the hard work of
DECLUTTERING



7 comments:

  1. Move 2000 miles away--does wonders for the decluttering, LOL! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE have lived in this house for more than 25 years so you can imagine our clutter. LOL

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Paula,

    We have lived in our town house for 27 years and we have also had multiple people moving in and out over those years so cleaning out has been semi-regular thing here and yet I still struggle with the clutter. And over the last year I have thrown away or given away so much stuff it feels embarrassing. I will check out the 52 week challenge ... even though it is not January but May when I am catching this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't follow this at all. The rest of life got in my way!

      Delete
  4. Oh, and one other thing. This year to disconnected from Facebook completely. It is a total time waste for me. And I guess you know that Google Reader is no more - I now follow my blogs as an email subscriber. Those postings show up in my email now - so they are always front and center and I never get behind. In fact, when Google reader died, I cleaned up my subscriptions. I decided that 50-60 were enough. It made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook for me is just to stay connected to family. I have moved to Bloglovin and am trying out Feedly to see which reader I am going to like. And yes I cleaned out a lot of blogs that just were not catching my attention anymore

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!