Saturday, December 8, 2012

A December Daybook Entry

FOR TODAY December 8, 2012

Outside my window...

Today is cloudy and beginning to look like Christmas. We have had such unseasonably warm weather that it is just not like Christmas around here at all. But I haven't minded. Really, I haven't. Today they are saying that we have a cold front moving in and it will be in the teens tonight. What a difference from a high in the 60's in the daytime. But it is winter! So I guess....BRING IT ON.

I am thinking...

I have been thinking quite a bit about my husband lately. His Parkinson's disease is progressing rapidly. I don't know if this is normal, as I have not really looked into it yet. My years as a hospital nurse has NOT prepared me for his disease, as I would only see a patient for a short period of time before they would be discharged home. During my time working in the nursing home we only has one gentleman with Parkinson's and his was pretty far advanced when I started working there. The one thing I most remember about him is how he became so stiff we could hardly turn him. And he STOPPED talking altogether. My husband is still walking but it is getting really bad. A lot of, what I call stutter-steps. He is using the walker all the time now.

I am thankful...

I am incredibly thankful that we still have Papa with us. We all know that his days are numbered. We try to enjoy him everyday. Some days it is just really hard to find anything good at all about his condition.  

In the kitchen...
I just sliced some cheese and salami and we are enjoying an afternoon snack. This is a snack we really enjoy in the wintertime. 

I am wearing...
Believe it or not I am wearing shorts and a tee shirt. This is really what I wear most of the time while indoors. Papa likes it warmer in the house than I do. And this is how I cope.

I am creating...
I am creating a cheerful, Christmasy house. The decorating continues. But I am almost done.

I am going...
I am going to do a research on tires for my car. I am very thankful that I finally have enough money to buy two new front tires. I will feel safer when on the highway.

I am wondering...
As always, at this time of the year, I am wondering if this will be the year that I find my Norman Rockwell Christmas. Read about that here. It has become a laugh at our house. I really have ceased trying to find it. Maybe once I quick looking, it will come. 
I am reading...

I just finished the book on my Nook Color and it will be time to look into my Nook Library to start another one. I have so many. It is awesome that Barnes and Noble has so many Free Friday Books that I just may never buy another book.

I am hoping...
I am hoping for a wonderful Christmas Season for all of my family and friends.

I am looking forward to...
I am looking forward to a possible trip to Lawrence to see my cousin after Christmas. It will all depend on Papa's health at that time.

I am learning...
I am learning (no I am not) that someday's I just need MORE patience.

Around the house...
Around the house we are definitely looking more and more like Christmas.

I am pondering...
I am pondering on whether to put up the 'blow-ups' this year in the front yard. The kids really like them. And Papa always liked them. I think they are kind of 'white-trashy'.

A favorite quote for today...

Christmas is a time when you get homesick - even when you're home.  ~Carol Nelson

One of my favorite things...
Today one of my favorite things is having the pantry full. Thank goodness for the nice retirement check that arrived in the mail I was able to really fill the cupboards.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
On Monday, Harley has a basketball game and Darian has a Scout meeting....the rest of the week is just practices and school and Papa and I at home.

A peek into my day...




If you would like to read other daybook entries like this one please go here
to The Simple Woman's Daybook site

2 comments:

  1. thats a big and pretty tall tree! also your grandchildren have nice creative names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree is beautiful! Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!