Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What if I won the lottery?

Have you ever thought about what you would do if you won the lottery? I mean after you get finished jumping up and down and screaming! After you are done calling everyone you know to tell them "I won the lottery"! (that might not be a great idea, come to think of it). But what would you do with all that money. I have spent a fair amount of time thinking about it. And I don't even play the lottery. So here goes my list of what I would do if I won the lottery. A substantial lottery that is. Not a simple million that I would only end up with a few thousand after taxes, mind you. But big bucks.
  • First, I would take a little vacation to someplace warm. Some place with white sand and warm waters and ocean breezes. Some place I can lay in the sun, not think about anything important, or worry about anyone. Some place that I can take, oh say 7 or 8 of those I worry about with me. And we will stay there for a good two or three weeks. Doing nothing but enjoying the sun, the sea, and the sand.
  • Now I am back home and refreshed and ready to spend some money. What would I do next. Look for a new house. Nope. I am happy with the house that I have. But it does need a new roof. Really bad. My husband put this wood roof on our house all by himself (with the help of two young sons) 25 years ago. It is old and it needs replaced. So up goes a new roof. No wood shingles here this time. Just plain old roofing shingles. I don't need anything fancy.
  • I might need to think about a new car though. We have a perfectly good car now. Well it will be when I get some work done on it in early 2012. And it does have that small oil leak. And almost 100,000 miles. But it serves me well. What the heck, I have won the lottery. I will get a new car.

  • Now is the time that I best put some of this huge amount of money away to send a couple of grand kids to college. The two who live with us will need some financial assist with their education. So I will open up a couple of college funds.
  • We have a pretty awesome church that has supported us in the recent times of trouble. So I will write a nice check to them too. Thank you First Church of the Nazarene.
  • Now I am thinking there is a considerable amount of money left to spend. After all, I have won the lottery in my imagination, so I can spend as much as I want before I run out. I will call up the dentist office and schedule an appointment for Papa and me and we will get our teeth all fixed up. I have really let mine go; not only for financial reasons, but I have a huge fear of pain. But with this kind of money I can afford the best so I will just be put to sleep and get all my teeth fixed. I cannot imagine what it will be like to have a whole mouth of teeth. And Papa needs a new set of bottom dentures. Might as well get new top ones too!

  • Now I am thinking that anyone who wins the lottery ought to spend some of that on plastic surgery. Not me! But I would like some laser treatments to get rid of the brown spots on my face and my hands. That's all. No lifts or tucks here. No Botox. No augmentations. After all, I am a 60 year old woman and I am happy with where I am in life. I would like fewer brown spots. That's all.
  • New clothes for the whole family. New underwear and socks. Shoes, boots, sandals. Coats and sweaters. Jeans and dresses. Not too many. Just enough.

  • I also want hardwood floors. I am tired of white carpet. I was warned about white carpet but I didn't listen. Now I will have some hardwood. Thank you very much!

  • I am almost done here. I want to help out my sons. They will get a little cash to do with what they please. Not too much. Kids have to learn that life isn't all about having things handed to you. But a nice thank you gift from mom won't hurt.
That's it. I am done. I won the lottery. I spent my money. I will go back to the task at hand. Raising grand kids and taking care of my elderly hubby. But it was sure fun to dream for a bit. Hope I didn't sound too materialistic. It was just a fantasy, after all. I am sure all of you won't agree with how I spend my money but it is MY fantasy, remember. Now I wonder if I should buy a lottery ticket this year.......

2 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like a great way to spend your money!! We can all dream right??? We could use a Lottery Win at our house right now too with Disney this year and Car repairs, medical bills, and Christmas we are pretty broke ourselves not a fun feeling at all this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Have you ever thought about what you would do if you won the lottery?"

    I've thought about it in enough detail to know that the first thing I'd do would probably be to lock myself in a dark room, telling myself over and over not to panic.

    And once I'd finished doing that, I like to think that I'd have the sense to find out what sum of money would realistically ensure that I'd never have to worry about money again. Then I'd put that away and let the interest build.

    For myself, I'd want to pay off my mortgage. It's never fun being in any kind of debt, be that a mortgage or a student loan, and if I had the option, I'd pay my mortgage off tomorrow. I'd also want to travel. I wouldn't stay in swanky hotels or go on fancy cruises, as that doesn't much appeal to me now. But I would go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

    I don't know if it's the kind of dream that she really would want to see through but my Mum always talks about running a craft shop or a book shop. If she really did want that, I'd make sure she had enough to do so. Aside from that, I'd want to make sure that none of the people around me were struggling to keep their heads above water, but I'd have to tread carefully there. Potentially, it could make people feel like I was taking their dignity away.

    And before making any "big" purchases, I'd ask myself whether I wanted it before the Lottery win. And if not, I'd be very careful before buying. I've absolutely no desire for a private jet now, so winning big on the Lottery shouldn't change that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!