Monday, August 23, 2010

The Thing About Grandchildren

If I hear the comment once more that the good thing about grandchildren is that you can spoil them and send them home.....I might scream.
You see that is not always so!
I am raising two of my grandchildren.
I am not raising them because this is what I want to do!
Believe me, I had other ideas about how I was going to spend these years leading up to the GOLDEN ones.
And it was not about shopping for kids, with kids. It was not about helping with homework. And it was not
about disciplining them. It was not about tucking them into their beds at night. It was not about worrying if they are okay. I was going to travel and garden and enjoy my life with Papa. Anyway, that is what I thought I was going to do.
Until one cold December day in 2008 when the big sister of my two grand kids called up, crying, and saying that Darian and Harley were not being taken care of. Mom had checked herself into rehab and left these two with Dad who was living wherever he could find a place to sleep and cook up his meth.
And that is the day they came to live with us.
And changed our lives forever.
We don't sit in our recliners and eat supper anymore. (Well sometimes we do) We now have meals at the table so that we can teach them some manners and give them some stability.
We don't watch whatever we want on TV. Cause, have you noticed how little on TV is good for any child under the age of, oh say, 21. My goodness the things that are on prime time. I don't want to have explain that to kids yet.
We have to have a bedtime, cause it is way to hard to get up really early in the morning and send them off to school if you don't go to bed really early in the evening. I am still working on this one, cause I am a night owl so I am always tired. never enough sleep.
So I have decided that this little blog of mine is going to change. I am going to start talking about what it is like for an old woman (age 59) and an old man (age 77)  who have found themselves parenting again.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot even fathom the effort that it takes. We still have a daughter, age 23, living at home with us, and that can challenge me to no end; but knowing that you have to re-organize two children's lives, and do so while caring for your husband. Well, Paula, I can't imagine. I truly can't. My heart and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment. But it was written a full year before my husband had his stroke. I am just so thankful now that they are with me. They are a big help both with Papa and giving me some of the emotional support I need.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!