Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sex Education

Sex Education
Sex Education (Photo credit: Hibr)

During this past trimester, my grandson has been having his sex education classes at school. In the 5th grade they get some basics. Then in the sixth grade they go into more detail. This is all new too me……when my sons were in the 5th and 6th grades, they barely touched on sex education. I taught them what I wanted them to know at home. But I signed the sheet of paper allowing my grandson to attend these classes. Because I really do feel they need the classes.
And now I am feeling the full effects of that decision. It seems that my " almost 12 " year old grandson thinks about sex….a lot. And he doesn’t mind sharing it with us. Or his cousins. Or his sister. Or anyone else that happens to be around. Because he is just so laid back and natural about it. That is the way it should be. Don’t you think? But I am an old-fashioned granny and this is a new experience for me.
Now don’t get me wrong. I am not a prude. I am an RN after all. I know all about the birds and the bees and how the body works. Just now from the eyes of an "almost 12" year old.

One night during Christmas vacation, he surprised me when he said “I don’t think I want to go through puberty.” “Why not?” I asked, not really fully into this conversation. “Because I don’t want to have any of those wet dreams.” he calmly answered. After granny picked her jaw up off the floor the only thing I could manage to say was “OH!”
Then on another night during this time out of school, I went into his room to tuck him in and he was acting a little funny. Like maybe he had hidden something under his covers and didn’t want granny to see. So I says to him “what are you hiding here?” and flipped back the covers. Silly granny…..just not stopping to think. His answer was……..are you ready for this? “Nothing granny! Did you think I was masturbating?” OH my God! Am I going to survive an "almost 12"year old boy?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!