Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Killing of Dr. George Tiller


First of all I want to say 'out loud' that I am Pro-Choice. It is my political and ethical view that woman have the right to control their own fertility. I believe that women have the right to continue or to terminate a pregnancy. I am not ashamed to hold this view. It is my right. I do not think abortions should be used as a means of birth control. But I still believe that it is the right of every woman to chose what happens to her body, to her personal health, and to her future.

That being said the remainder of my comments today will be about the killing of the 'abortion' Dr. George Tiller of Wichita, Kansas, who was gunned down by a crazy abortion opponent in his church on Sunday morning this past week. I cannot understand how these zealots believe that the 'killing' of babies justifies killing the doctor. That is not a trade-off. You can disagree or hold a different belief, but killing the man to save the babies just does not make sense to me.

Dr. Tiller was a husband, a father, a grandfather, and a friend. He believed that he was helping women. And many women felt that he did help them. He was a fine man that offered more to this country that many will ever know. He had been plagued for years with threats on his life and business. He had dealt with picketers. He had been shot in the past by a crazy woman abortion opponent and returned to work the very next day. He did not back down in the face of threats or controversy. He stood up for what he believed in. And for this I admired him.
I offer this small tribute to him. And I hope that the man that murdered him will be punished to the full extent of the law. Do not let him become a martyr.

"I would remind the president that this country already found common ground on abortion in 1973, when the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade. That compromise is between the right of individuals to determine their own reproductive destinies and the interests of the state. It is settled law for all but the most determined opponents."

Deborah J. Glick

New York Assemblywoman, 66th Dist.

New York, June 2, 2009

The quote above reminds me : if we don't like the law, we cannot take the law into our own hands, but we work to change the law. I challenge Pro-Life people to do that. Do not kill anymore doctors in the name of saving babies. It does not make sense.

I invite your comments and will respect your views. I ask that you respect mine.





2 comments:

  1. While I may not agree with all of your views o the subject, I do stand with your right to own them. As for the coward who pulled the trigger or for that matter all murdering cowards, hang them high on the Kansas gallows
    Morning Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pro life but I respect other women to make their own decisions. I don't understand how people can get so wrapped up in something they believe in that they would kill someone else over it. It's the same with war. It continues to boggle my mind.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!