Friday, May 1, 2009

Don't panic over the Swine Flu

I couldn't be a blogging nurse if I didn't mention something about the swine flu. I am reading everywhere how scared people are. And the media certainly doesn't help matters when that is all it is talking about. You need to be sensible but you sure do not need to be terrifed. It is a virus much like any other virus. It just hasn't been in the United States before. So before you panic, be sensible. Let's all clean up our acts and be aware of the coughing and sneezing going on around us. A little common sense and diligence will keep the germs away.
  • Wash your hands often and thoroughly-I have taught my grand kids to sing Happy Birthday while they wash so that I know they are washing long enough.
  • My grand kids have been taught to cough into the crook of their arm and not into the air or on their hands.
  • When you have finished blowing your nose into a tissue, throw it away immediately and wash your hands.
  • It is okay to use alcohol-based hand sanitizers....be sure to rub it all over your hands until it dries.
  • Stay away from sick people! This includes family members, loved ones, and strangers.
  • Do not share food or drink with anyone...including your family members.
  • Try to avoid places with recyclable air....like airplanes and trains.
  • Use the stairs instead of the elevator. And think of the other benefits to this.
  • Take advantage of the warm weather and meet people outside rather than inside.
  • And if you are the one that is sick......STAY HOME! Don't send your kids to school sick either.
  • Keep your hands away from your face and wash them often. This cannot be said often enough....Wash your hands!

And don't waste your money on face masks........THEY DON'T WORK! Viruses are tiny and will penetrate the mask readily. And not only that they make you look silly!

Don't panic.....but do WASH YOUR HANDS.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I am amazed over this hysteria and have always been a firm advocate of handwashing- has to do with 25 years in childcare centers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,
    Thanks for the visit and the comment about Michelle Obama's footwear. Well, I guess I should say I am surprised she wore these shoes to this event as this presidency seems to be all about image over substance anyhow. I mean someone who makes more than $3 million (according to his '08 tax return) and only donates 6.5% to charity is not really caring about the down trodden. He likes to talk the talk but most certainly does not walk the walk or for that matter wear what you need to walk to support the talk that he is so famous for talking (does that make sense, I don't have a teleprompter?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well amen to that! I appreciate some good basic commonsense. So many people are still sneezing into their hands...yucky!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!