Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Word of the year




Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2009?




I am going to pick the word Optimism.......


Wikipedia describes Optimism as:
Optimists see
the world as a benevolent place.
Optimism is an outlook on life such that
one maintains a view of the world as a positive place. It is the philosophical
opposite of
pessimism. Optimists generally
believe that people and events are inherently good, so that most situations work
out in the end for the best.
A common conundrum illustrates
optimism-versus-pessimism with the question, does one regard a given glass of
water, filled to half its capacity, as
half
full or as half empty
? Conventional wisdom expects optimists to reply, "Half
full," and pessimists to respond, "Half empty" (assuming that "full" is
considered good, and "empty", bad).
Another paradox sometimes associated
with optimism is that the only thing an optimist cannot view as positive is a
pessimist. Pessimism, however, as it acts as a check to recklessness, may even
then be viewed in a positive light.


I am not known to be the most optimistic person in the world so for 2009 I am picking Optimism to be my key word to focus on. Look forward to seeing more posts dealing with optimism.





Positive things happen to positive people.



3 comments:

  1. What a great word and post. I'm optimistic that your 2009 will be a good year!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!