Sunday, November 30, 2008
November 27, 2008
Barack Obama told his disappointed supporters who voted for him on the promise of change only to find him appoint old Clintonites and Bush cabinet members not to be upset– “I am the change.”
President-elect Barack Obama essentially said Wednesday that he is the change, striving to assure Americans that he’ll shake up Washington despite filling his administration with old hands from the Clinton administration and the capital’s corridors of power.
“Understand where the vision for change comes from, first and foremost,” Obama said. “It comes from me. That’s my job, is to provide a vision in terms of where we are going, and to make sure, then, that my team is implementing.”
And all he did was bitch that Bush was more of the same.......guess that doesn't count for him huh? And don't get me wrong I am a Clinton supportor all the way...it is just that Barack sure led a lot of people down the wrong path didn't he?
Sunday Stealing: The Seven Layer Meme
* Played a game that required removal of clothing:* yes./...strip Scrabble
* Age you did get/hope to be married:* the first time I was 18...too young...second time 45
* Name a drug you’ve taken illegally: smoked marijuana once
Friday, November 28, 2008
. What was the last pill you took? I just took an 800 mg ibuprofen...my head is hurting and my knees ache!
2. What time of day do you usually feel most energized? I am a night person and I feel my best after 7 p.m.
3. Who was the last person you hugged? Oh my I hugged a whole lot of family yesterday....but today it was my brother Fred
4. If you had a restaurant serve you a perfect breakfast, what would it be? French toast, egg sunny-side up and bacon....warm maple syrup
5. What did you do on Thursday? We hosted the family Thanksgiving at our house...were 23 of us and two doggies
6. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be? I would change the relationship that I have with my oldest son....I want to be in his life but I want him free of his addictions...and I miss my grandkids
7. What is your favorite TV commercial at the moment? HMMMMM at the moment I can't think of one
8. Who would you'd be surprised to wake up and find in your bed? LOL!
9. Who is your favorite 80’s band? I was too busy in the 80's to have a favorite...I worked 3 jobs, went full time to nursing school, and was a mom to two boys
Blogging Terms (just for fun):
Blogstipation - Writer’s block for bloggers. Can't think of what to blog about?
Blogathy - I do not want to post today and I do not care about it
Blogopotamus - A long long blog postBlogorrhea - Unusually high output of articles
Bleg - To use one’s blog to beg for assistance etc.
Hitnosis - Refreshing your browser repeatedly to see if your hit counter or comments have increased
Blog hopping - Jumping from one blog to another
Blogoholic - Addicted to blogging
Blogorific - Blogtastic - Something which a blogger says is terrific
Blogsit - Maintaining a blog while the primary blogger is on leave
Blurker - A blog reader not posting comments, just lurking around quietly.
Blogathon - Update your website every 30 minutes for 24 hours straight. Maybe collect sponsorships.
Blogiversary - Your blog birthday
Blog Carnival - Links to other articles covering a specific topic.Multiblog - Running multiple blogs
Blogger bash - A blogger party
Blooger - A blogger who exhibits adolescent tendencies and lacks basic social graces or good manners. A portmanteau of “blog” and “booger.”
Blogroach- A commenter who rudely disagrees with posted content
Weborexic - Referring to tiny (width-wise) layouts.
Gulog - Used when a blog is so dismal and depressing, it’s as if it were written in a Soviet labor camp.
Glog - A first-person recording of an activity, in which the person doing the recording is a participant in the activity
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Now about Barbara Walters and The View...I have turned them off. I have been saying for a long time that I was through with them but now I mean it. What ever happened to the tough questions asked by Barbara Walters? She used to cause fear among political candidates. But not anymore...now she just kisses their behinds. It is time to retire Barbara. And I was the biggest fan ever of Joy Baher but I am sick of her too....if this is what this TV show needs to do to draw viewers then I guess it is just time to exercise my freedoms in this great country of ours and turn them off. Wow that felt so good to say that!
I am happy to live in the greatest country in the world. I am happy to see that we are moving forward in the fight against racism but Mr. Obama is just causing the rift to continue . Let's stop referring to him as a black president and just refer to him as The President. I am sick of it!
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Monday, November 17, 2008
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Sunday Stealing: The Woman's Work 45 Meme
Cheers to all us thieves!
1. Do you like blue cheese salad dressing? Yes I sure do!
2. Favorite late night snack? Potato chips with sour cream...if no potato chips I have been know to eat the sour cream with a spoon! Yum!
3. Do you own a gun? No and I won't let one be in my house...
4. What’s your favorite drink at Starbucks or other specialty coffee shop? Vanilla Bean Freeze
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Not always
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I love them with a beer at the ballpark..or cooked on the grill
7. Favorite Christmas song? Elvis Presley Blue Christmas
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Coffee with French vanilla cream
9. Can you do push-ups? LOL....maybe one
10. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? A necklace my youngest son bought me on my 40th birthday...was the first gift he ever bought me all on his own with his own money It is gold with RN on it
11. Favorite hobby? I love to garden
12. Do you have A.D.D.? Sometimes I wonder.....
13. What’s one trait that you hate about yourself? My impatience
14. The last disease you contracted? I had the flu last winter...don't know what kind..I was too damn sick to go to the doctor
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment. 1. Crazy questions 2. Sorry I have to work today! 3. Wish I had another cup of coffee
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? 1. coffee 2. Pepsi 3. Beer
17. Current worry right now? same worry I always have...involves my oldest son
18. Current hate right now? State inspectors
19. Favorite place to be? At home first...next anywhere in the Caribbean
20. How did you ring in the New Year? Last year???? I can't remember
21. Like to travel? sometimes
22. Name three people who will complete Sunday Stealing this week: beats me!
23. Do you own slippers? No
24. What color shirt are you wearing? a purple flowered silky scrub top!
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? Never have but don't think I would!
26. Can you whistle? No but my mom had the loudest whistle I ever heard..she used to call us home with that whistle
27. Favorite singer/band? I love Kenny Rogers, Elvis Presley and Brett Michaels
28. Could you ever make it 39 days on the show Survivor? No I am too much of a bitch
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? None!
30. Favorite girl’s names? HMMMMMMMMMM
31. Favorite boy’s name? HMMMMMMMMM
32. What’s in your pocket right now? my cellphone, a pen, a pack of Five and a little notebook (I'm off to work soon)
33. Last thing that made you laugh? my granddaughter Paige getting ready for school on Friday morning! She has ADHD and sometimes is a hoot until the meds kick in!
34. Like your job? I love my residents....hate the politics of the place...and wish we had management with a backbone
36. Do you love where you live? I love my house....wish it were somewhere warmer
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? Three
38. Who is your loudest friend? Ginger
39. Do you drive the speed limit or speed? Yes I do...my son is a cop! Wouldn't ever live down a speeding ticket!
40. Does someone have a crush on you? Yes, a little old man at work and I love him too!!
41. What is your favorite book? I don't have just a favorite book
42. What is your favorite candy? Snickers
43. Favorite Sports Team? Kansas City Royals
44. What were you doing 12 AM last night? Browsing the net
45. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up today? Shoot I have to go to work
Friday, November 14, 2008
My Friend Carol over at Charlie and Me gave me this cute little award and asked me to play along....Now here are the rules:
Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment.
Turn to page 56....
Write out the fifth sentence, as well as two to five sentences following there.
Then pass this lovely little award on to five other people.......
The Name of my book is DeadLocked written by Joel Goldman.
This book, along with three others, were given to me for Christmas last year by my youngest son, Justin. He knows how much I love to read and this is a new author from the Kansas City area about the Kansas City area. He stood in line for a couple of hours to get all four books signed for me....so they are very special
Page 56...He stopped in front of the dry erase board, a siren from the street shrieking into his open window as an ambulance raced by, the coincidence of Somni Efron's murder and Ryan Kowalczyk's execution occurring on the same day more stunning than the siren. Mason didn't believe in coincidence any more than he believed in King Tut's curse. Legend had it that those who entered King Tut's tomb were cursed to die horrible deaths, many of them doing so, their deaths serving the legend if nothing else..........
I would like to pass this award on to the following people:
1. Heather at Heather's Heavinly Stampations
2. Nurseexec at Driven to Distraction
3. Charlene at Crazy Charlene
4. Mindy at LadyBug Farm
5. Joy over at The Tubb Family
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Now let me tell you what an RN does. First of all the shortest period of time it takes to go to school to get a license is 2 years. I have never known anyone who can do it in that short period of time. Mine took 3 years as I was also working 3 part-time jobs and being the single mom to 2 small children. (And I made straight A's with the exception of one C..not to brag). And that was 25 years ago...At the end of that three years of school we had to sit for a 2 day long testing at the state capitol (they now take the test on a computer) which if you survived that ordeal you deserved to be a nurse.
Now let me tell you about my duties as an Rn in a 124 bed skilled nursing facility. I am usually the only RN on my shift. There may be ( on a good day) 2 other LPN's. We usually have 2 medications aides taking care of the 22 residents that live in the Traditional homes; one or two other CMA's and approximately 11-12 other certified nurse assistants (CNA) scattered throughout the home. Now my job as the RN is to supervise all of this staff. In addition to that I am responsible for the 25-26 residents that live on my unit. There I pass all the medications for this 8 hour period; do all the charting; call doctors; talk to family members and visitors about their loved ones; do all the treatments (breathing treatments, bandage changes, eye drops, blood glucose monitoring.etc) On top of these duties in my unit only, I am available to help the other 5 units in case of emergencies or to solve other problems that may crop up.Now if that isn't enough I also must take all call-ins (as when you call in that you are not going to come to work the next shift or the next day you must talk to a nurse) and make up the schedules for the next shift. It is my responsibility to try to find coverage for those who call in. And I do that while answering the phone that seems to always be ringing and transferring calls or taking messages. We do not have anyone that answers the phones after 5 pm Monday-Friday and no one is there on weekends at all. Now have I covered everything. No wait a minute....what about the toilet that is over-flowing...wait the nurse will run get a plunger (because for some unknown reason those are kept behind a locked door that is on the same key ring that the narcotic key is kept on) grab a mop to mop up the floor as we also have no housekeeping staff on this shift after 5pm.
Now am I done....nope...I am the only one who can sign for and check in medications when they arrive on my unit. And then I get to put them all away.
Now I am done....no wait...who is it that the CNA comes to tell...Mr. Johnson has a temp of 102F...Mrs Brown is on the floor...Mrs Gray has some funny smell coming from under her belly flap...Janie said that I work too slow!....Billy told me to shut up...Kelly was supposed to work for me tomorrow and now she says she is not going to...Mrs. Taylor won't eat..
I doubt that I am now done. I am sure that I have left something out of this list of things that I do in a typical 8-hour shift. But in answer to the question that was asked to start this post....nope, an RN is not just like a CMA...go to school, become an RN, come on back to work here and let me know what you think.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
My grand daughter was here this weekend and she loves building things. She often plays with her daddy's old set of Legos. But granny had a surprise this weekend as hidden away in the closet was her Papa's old set of Lincoln Logs that he had gotten for Christmas when he was her same age.....long, long ago in 1941. Here she is with her creations
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Where is your significant other? outside
Your hair color? brown
Your mother? Heaven
Your father? Heaven
One favorite thing? grandkids
Your dream last night?stupid
Your dream goal? peace
The room you're in? office
Your hobby? gardening
Your fear? mice
Where do you want to be in six years? retired
Where were you last night? working
What you're not? rich
One of your wish list items? retirement
Where you grew up? Pratt
The last thing you did? laundry
What are you wearing? jeans
Your TV? off
Your pets? none
Your computer? IBM
Your mood? sad
Missing someone? yes
Your car? Oldsmobile
Something you're not wearing? hat
Favorite drink? beer
Your summer? over
Love someone? yes!
Your favorite color? purple
When was the last time you laughed? yesterday
When was the last time you cried? today
Why not join in and play along?Let me know....I'll come over to your place and learn more about YOU!
Friday, November 7, 2008
1. Where is the furthest place that you have traveled and how far away from home is it?
I don't know how many miles away it was but I live in Kansas and we flew to Sydney Australia....18 hour non-stop flight from Los Angeles
2. What is a blog that you would recommend for us to read and why?
3. What is the biggest surprise you ever have had and was it a good one?
I have just discovered Just Livin Large and the reason that I love to read her is she is brave and honest and states her opinions.
I think the biggest surprise I ever had was when I found out I was pregnant with my first son. I was taking "the pill"...and yes it was good one!4. What is your favorite quote? (We know we've asked this recently. But there is always another great quote! :)
If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true were really true,there would be little hope of advance.Orville Wright (I have so many favorites)
5. Have you ever been hospitalized for a major health situation?
The biggest health issue I have ever had was in 2004 when I fell and broke my leg in 4 places. But I was only in the hospital 2 days....4 months not walking!
6. Do you prefer long hair or short hair for yourself?
short for me....it is just easier!
7. What was your favorite amusement park ride growing up?
I was never on an amusement park ride as a kid....and my favorite now is the merry-go-round LOL!
8. How long do you talk on your phone on a typical day?
Not very much on a typical day as I am a working RN and don't do much more than answer the phone and transfer the call.
9. Other than Saturday 9, what is your favorite meme to do each week?
I get a kick out of Sunday Stealing
Hope you all have a super Saturday...
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant,gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
"Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
by Marianne Williamson
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Monday, November 3, 2008
Today in the United States is Sandwich Day....What is your favorite sandwich?My favorite sandwich is a Turkey-Cranberry Sandwich....slices of leftover turkey with cranberry sauce (yes that yummy stuff from the can) and cream cheese...I like it best on dark rye bread...yummy!
10. You're so tired you answer the phone with "Go to Hell!"
9. Your friends call to ask how you have been and you immediately scream "Stop asking me all these damn questions!
8. Your garbage can IS your "in" box
7. You wake up to discover your house is on fire ,but go back to sleep because you just don't care
6. You consider a forty hour week a vacation
5. Visions of the upcoming weekend help you make it through Monday
4. You don't set your alarm anymore because you know your phone will go off before your alarm does
3. You leave for a party and instinctively bring your ID badge
2. Your day timer/week planner exploded a week ago
AND THE NUMBER ONE SIGH THAT YOU ARE BURNED OUT AT WORK...........
1. You think about how relaxing it would be if you were in jail right now
I found this on a nursing blog that I was browsing.....Nursing Is Hell
#5 if one that I really relate to right now