Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sometimes I think being a nurse sucks!!!

Wow....work this evening was one of those days that I wonder why I go to work. Things were going pretty good...until I walked in the door.!First thing I did was check out the day sheet. This is where each unit lists who is working that day. We have 6 units in our home. Two on the upper floor; two on the lower floor; and two off to the side. Usual staffing for my shift/and my area is one nurse and two aides. On the other units it is usually one nurse and three aides. NOT TODAY! The two units off to the side of us were okay. But the top floor where I work..my unit had me, an aide on light-duty; and another aide. On the opposite end of the hall (North) there was no nurse; one CMA (an aide who can pass medications) and two aides. So that meant I was their nurse too.....and I am asking myself WHAT THE HECK DOES LIGHT DUTY MEAN? Also, looking ahead, I checked the night shift schedule...WHAT????? NO NURSES SCHEDULED? I called the ADON (second in command) and asked, first of all, "Is there really no nurses coming in on night shift?" She had the nerve to ask me why that mattered to me. Well it matters to me because if I am not relieved by at least one licensed nurse, then I can't leave. She assured me that there would be one nurse coming in for the night shift and one of the managers (ha! ha!) was coming in to work in her office and would be there is there is any emergencies. This is a 124 bed skilled nursing facility. One nurse to cover all of this and one nurse for emergencies! Are they crazy? The evening itself went pretty well. I had a couple of fires (not real fires, but problems) to put out that should have been taken care of by the day shift but for the most part it was okay. Around 9 p.m. the nurse (the one and only working nurse that is) calls to ask if she is still the only nurse on the schedule. Well I had been told not to tell her that the supervising nurse would be here but was going to be in her office and only would assist with emergencies(they said she could find that out when she got here) but beings that we nurses stick together I let her in on the little secret. When she came to work, after I had given her report, counted the narcotics, and ready to check out she told me that at midnight she was going home sick. She said it is about time "they" (meaning management) find out what we go through when there is not enough nurses working.....I left as quickly as possible. Before the sh** hit the fan...Wonder what is happening there right now

5 comments:

  1. I am floored by your staffing. Just, wow. For my 120 bed, I staff 3-11 with 3 nurses on my 60 bed short term wing, with 6 aides. On the 60 bed long term side, 2 nurses and 7 aides. Plus a desk nurse until 9, and a free floating supervisor.

    You rock, woman. If you ever decide to move to FL, we'll have to talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, we could never staff as low as you do--FL has minimum staffing rules, which are very liberal, especially when it comes to CNAs

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were short staffed all the time. No nurses scheduled so you would wind up working a 12 or even 16 hour shift. Then they tried to pull us to ER. No orientation at all. I am so glad I decided to retire. No more weekends or late shifts. I never realized just how stressed and tired I was. The best thing I ever did for myself was get out of there. It was the best decision I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would suck! I do not think I would do it! I hope she did call in sick!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!